Monday, February 13, 2012

What's Your Sign?

What's your sign??  Am I talking about a cheesy pick up line?  No, I mean, if you had to wear around a sign that listed all your faults, what would it say?  I was thinking about this as the everyone was making judgments about what happened to Whitney Houston.  She battled a private issue very publicly.  How many of us have had millions of people know what our weaknesses and faults were?  What if you had to wear around a sign that listed those things?  How would you be treated?  How would you treat others as you read their signs?  What would your sign say?

  • I lie, not all the time but, sometimes - you figure out when.
  • I committed adultery
  • I gossip (about you? Maybe)
  • I hate someone
  • I drink every night
  • I can't forgive
  • I had an abortion
  • I have an eating disorder
  • I have depression/anxiety
  • I tried to kill myself
  • I judge people (you? Probably)
  • I committed a crime (shoplifting, stealing from work, rape, murder - you figure it out)
  • I suffered abuse
  • I'm promiscuous
  • I have homosexual thoughts
  • I think I'm better than some people (you? Maybe)

The list could go on and on.  But, you get the point.  Some of us have little secrets, some have big secrets.  Some have qualities in our personality that we try to hide from others.  But the fact is, we all have faults and weaknesses.  What if you had to wear them around for everyone to see?  Imagine for a moment that people would treat you according to your sign.  What would that look like?  You're probably glad this isn't a reality.  Well, it isn't for most of us.  But, there are those who must suffer this fate.  Everyone knows what they've done and they have to face the criticism and judgment of the masses.  If you're thinking "well, my faults and weaknesses aren't as bad as theirs", be careful.  It would probably depend on who you ask.  If you think lying a little and gossip isn't as bad as doing drugs - why don't you ask the person you lied to or gossiped about.  Think about it!

So, what's your sign?

No comments:

Post a Comment