Wednesday, February 8, 2012

It's all Downhill from Here...

Have you ever been downhill skiing?  I would venture to guess that most of you haven't.  So, I'm going to give you some insight as to what it's like.  My family and I finally went up north skiing this past weekend and here is what I discovered:

1. The conditions (weather and snow) make a HUGE difference in your skiing experience.

2. Your attitude and the attitude of those around you make a HUGE difference in your skiing experience.

3. Your expectations make a HUGE difference in your skiing experience.

Sound alot like life?  hmmmm

I've skiied in perfect and horrible conditions.  I prefer perfect.  Perfect was this Saturday with temperatures in the 30's and slopes groomed so well they looked like corduroy.  That's actually how they refer to it - corduroy.  Smooth.  It's so easy to ski on this, you just glide down the hill with very little effort. 
Then there was Sunday, we went to Boyne Mountain where they apprently thought it was not necessary to groom the slopes.  When snow is not groomed, it scrapes off in some areas to reveal ice.  Only to pile up in surrounding areas to make large mounds of snow that practically stop you in your tracks.  So, you're sliding on ice and getting stuck in the piles.  It really takes skill and effort to ski in these conditions.  It's hard.

Saturday I was in a great mood, healthy and happy.  And, everyone in my family was happy.  And, everyone who worked at the resort was friendly and accommodating.  The kids took lessons in the morning and loved their instructors.  All the people working the lifts said hello and asked how our day was going.  It was fun and enjoyable.
Sunday, I was sick.  I started feeling bad Saturday night and apparently kept everyone awake most of the night with my snoring.  My head felt like it was going to explode and I couldn't stop coughing and sneezing.  So, my family was tired.  The people at the resort didn't talk, I didn't talk, we all felt a bit "off".  It was work to make the most of the day and "pretend" we were having fun.

Saturday, I had no expectations.  We had no idea what the conditions would be when we arrived.  We just decided that, no matter what, we were going to make the most of our mini vacation.  If the snow was bad or non-existant, we were just going to "go with it" and have fun.  Well, the snow was great and we were pleasantly surprised.  It set the tone for the next day...
Sunday, I expected the conditions to be the same as the day before.  They weren't.  I was disappointed.

So, isn't that life?  If everything is perfect around you, life is easy and fun.  But, how often does that happen? Most of the time it takes "skill and effort" to navigate life's messy terrain.  And, if you're happy and the people around you are happy, life is good.  But, seriously, that's like all the planets aligning at once.  Most of the time, either you or those around you are a "bit off" and you have to put on that fake smile just to get thru the day.  What about your expectations?  Don't you find that when you either expect nothing or expect little, you are pleasantly surprised?  And, when your expectations exceed reality, it leads to disappointment.

What have I learned from my ski trip?  I am not in control of things around me, I am only in control of how I choose to react to those things.  I am equipped to handle difficult terrain, I am in control of my attitude and all I should expect is that which I know to be true everyday, everything else is subject to change!  I still prefer perfect but, I can handle horrible!

No comments:

Post a Comment